We’re looking for our first hire—a mission-driven and entrepreneurial Director of Operations to help build Advance Peace. As a start-up, we need a partner to the CEO who can “act as an owner” and be willing to make bold bets to advance our mission.
As Director of Operations, you’ll have both external and internal facing responsibilities focused on strategy and optimizing day-to-day operations. You’ll contribute to the creation and implementation of our strategic plan, manage business partnerships and stakeholder groups (including our Board of Directors), and have the crucial role of developing and implementing internal processes and systems.
You’ll have significant influence over our success and future direction, so we’re looking for candidates who have a demonstrated track record of exceptional leadership and teamwork, as well as analytical and strategic thinking skills. As a mission-driven start-up in our first year of operations, we’re also looking for a self-starter with agility, focus, humility, ingenuity, and a sense of humor. This is a full-time role reporting directly to the CEO. You can be based anywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area and are expected to come to our Richmond offices at least twice a week.
Strategy and Organization Building
- Support CEO and Board in creation and implementation of strategic plan.
- Lead emerging strategic initiatives from vision through execution.
- Manage work-streams across the organization, ensuring strategic priorities and key deliverables are met on time. Oversee and manage highly prioritized projects related to partnerships, communications, and fundraising.
- Partner with CEO to manage Advance Peace’s Board to high performance, by leading meeting preparation and managing meeting follow-up.
- Build organization-wide systems and processes to ensure successful and consistent delivery of programmatic outcomes.
- Design and manage internal administrative and operational processes related to HR, finance, and organizational planning. Oversee accounting, employee benefits, risk management strategies, payroll, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage business relationships, such as with outside legal counsel, as needed.
Finance and Fundraising
- Lead transition from fiscal sponsorship to 501c3
- Manage budget and creation of finance tools, oversee compilation and review of monthly financials and forecast in collaboration with external parties (initially with fiscal sponsor then with Comptroller).
- Prepare and provide financial information to CEO and Board to enhance sound financial decision-making and allocation of resources.
- Build financial models to support organizational decision-making. Lead the development of a fundraising plan that aligns with strategic plan in close collaboration with CEO and Board.
- Partner with CEO in management of existing donor and funding relationships through compiling reports, tailoring them to specific audiences, creating pitch decks, and monitoring reporting schedules.
The successful candidate will have the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Five to seven years of experience with increasing responsibility over time.
- Outstanding project management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Comfort in a start-up environment with the dexterity to manage multiple projects (big and small).
- Experience with budget planning, fund development, and creating organization processes. Knowledge of non-profit accounting a plus.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with diverse group of stakeholders and supervise administrative staff and/or consultants.
- Demonstrated commitment to Advance Peace’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in Business, Policy, or Law preferred.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
We offer a highly competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, the flexibility of working remotely in the Bay Area three days a week, and full benefits.
Position is open until filled. Please submit a Resume and Cover Letter with “Director of Operations Application” in the subject line to: Hiring@advancepeace.org
Advance Peace is currently fiscally sponsored at Safe Passages, a nonprofit 501c3. We are in the process of incorporating as an independent nonprofit 501c3 in California.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Check back frequently for additional open positions with Advance Peace.
Those closest to the problem are closest to the solution, but furthest from resources and power.